Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Aussie Ebay Curiosities

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Aussie Ebay Curiosities

    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Aussie Ebay Curiosities

    The Acoustician drivers have been talked about before, but I don't recall the details.

    The horns don't look Altec to me, but I think the throats do.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Aussie Ebay Curiosities


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Aussie Ebay Curiosities

    A Chinese company called Zomax made crap copies sort of. Very cheapened up units that bore some resemblance.

    Waldom, the guys who marketed cheap speaker cones, bought a few containers and had them branded Acoustician. By and large, pretty sucky. I have heard listenable units, but inside they looked cheap Chinese. Very cheap Chinese.

    They keep cropping up on eBay, with ignorant or just plain ripoff dealers saying maybe made by Altec.

    These bear exactly zero resemblance to Altec horns. They only have 3 bolt throats for Zomax crap Altec copies. Which aren't really copies, more "inspired by".

    I bought a few pieces, best was the 7299, sort of a 299, if memory serves would accept real Altec frams. And the big JBL, 2446 I think. I did sell a number of the JBL copies to young rockers who were gonna blow them up anyway. Sounded OK and retail was around 125 I think...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.